Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Will Your Legacy Be?

Have you ever thought about what you would leave as a legacy? Would the legacy be for your family or for all mankind?

What does legacy mean anyway:

Legacy means "1. money or other property left to a person by will; bequest. 2. Something that has been handed down from an ancestor or predecessor. Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to mankind." By Thorndike/Barnhart

I have challenged myself with what mark or legacy I will leave behind.

The thought of a legacy prompted me to start a not-for-profit organization called That's It, I'm Going to Grandma's!." This organization was founded on the principle of giving to others. Reaching out of your comfort zone, extending a hand to others by sharing our individual talents and gifts for the greater good of all.

Ask yourself what difference you can make? What will be your legacy? Do you want to leave money, a book or perhaps challenge yourself to start changing the world around you?

I sat and pondered about it. My first thought was I would like to help both unwed mothers and fathers make a difference in their children's lives. The next step was to develop the strategies to which I could help. Actually, I am using the word I but it should be WE.

While attending a seminar, I shared my thoughts on the legacy I wanted to leave. The presenter recognized the passion in my heart and encouraged me to step up to the plate and be an action taker and make it happen. I visited with the presenter about my thoughts and she saw something in me. It wasn't what I was sharing with her but it was what was in my heart. So she encouraged me to go for it and she said she would work with me and help me make "whatever" happen. She told me "they would do the heavy lifting".

I went for it not knowing what I was getting myself into, so here I am making it happen.

Renita Farrall

What is going to be your legacy?

4 comments:

  1. Very well put Renita. I think we should all consider what kind of legacy we will leave. Not just for the long term, but for the short term as well. What is our legacy going to be for everyone that comes into our lives?

    Bill Rowe
    Skype: eworllib

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passion will fuel the help you hope to offer to people who have felt the same way you have felt, Renita! I am so proud of you for following your heart because you have so much to offer the world. God bless you and your efforts to make a difference and leave a legacy of love.
    Virtual Hugs {{{}}}
    Prez of your Fan Club
    #1 Renita Cheerleader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great food for thought for EVERY person. Very timely for me. Thank you, Renita.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your message.