Thursday, October 16, 2008

Are you ready for The Power of Grant Money?

As I said earlier Sherry has built a wonderful business of training people on the workings of grants.

Another thing she has done is to build up the people who take her training.

She has taken "just a farm wife" and made her feel like a "rock star"!

She did that by putting 'the farm wife' on a panel. Now I knew I would be on a panel, but I never ask any questions. I just worried. "What do I wear?" "What do I say?" " Am I going to speak so people can understand what "That's It, I'm Going to Grandma's!" is about?" All kinds of things were going through my mind.

The big day came when I was told I was going to be on the panel. Thank goodness for Coach Dixie Brown! She had prepared a slide show for me that featured my business card and the story of the Valentine Cards. It was a short 4 picture slide.

Sherry's son Aaron, was the MC for the panel. They had 4 nice looking young men that was all dressed as if they were millionaires and then there was the "farmers wife" dressed in all demin!

Aaron interviewed the young men first and as I listened I was thinking "okay, how do I answer that question?" Everyone had such nice professional answers. Aaron finally got to me.

"Take a deep breath," I thought to myself. "Okay. Whew! I got the first question answered. " Then it was time for the slide show. I was taking them through it and noticed the audience was actually listening. The question period ended.

One of the young men on the panelists spoke up: "Did anyone hear the passion coming from Renita's heart? That is what the secert for our projects is all about. To get them accomplished is to have that same passion. We need passion that you can feel and translate and Renita just did that."

That just floored me because I was just telling the story. Passion was beyond me, I had no idea about passion. I didn't know what my passion was and here he was hearing it coming from me.

I get tears writing this because to me I was just sharing with them about what I wanted to happen, what had happened to me taking those Valentine Cards to the nursing home residents.

Another thing that Sherry does at her trainings is bring a student in that has gotten their nonprofit organization up and running big time. In March she did that in a very big way. One of her students is Orrin Hudson. You may have seen and heard about him. He has been on all the TV networks talking about his Chess program "Be Someone." He is phenomenal! He was a State Trooper before he started doing this and his dream was to help turn troubled kids lives around and teach them the game of life.

Here is the headline: "Youth advocate Orrin Hudson teaches life skills to troubled kids through the game of chess." His website is Besomeone.org. Go take a look. Seeing what he has done may inspire you.

Please feel free to leave your comments. When you click on Orrin's links please let him know how you learned about him. Be sure and check out The Leading Grant Expert Sherry Watson

Renita Farrall

Start living your legacy now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Mrs. "I am a 96 on Twitter" I am so proud of you that I nominated your blog for an award.

    Check your email for details...

    I love you a special much because I am so glad there is you.

    Virtual Hugs {{{}}}
    CK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your message.