Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Share Your Experience

Have you ever thought about volunteering?

Have you done any volunteering?

How did it feel?

Was it worth the time?

Please share with us your experience and thoughts in the comment box.

My latest experience with volunteering has been with the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services. I was blown away when I received a letter and certificate from Governor Dave Heineman and the NDCS Director Robert P. Houston, for supporting the TSCI Self-Betterment Club.

I have been going down to Tecumseh, NE to the state correctional facility to visit the men in the Toastmasters Club and found myself being a volunteer. The blessings that have come from doing this small act are to many to mention. I have learned to love these men that I thought could never be loved and learned that they are as human as the rest of us. They all have feelings and hurts just like us and they appreciate being honored, they want to do good and grow just like we do. They have made mistakes and now are paying the price and some of them are willing to learn and make corrections in their ways so that they can give back when they get out.

To answer my questions:

Have you ever thought about volunteering?
Yes. As far as I knew I was doing it for That's It, I'm Going to Grandma's! but it has been a real blessing to the men and myself. How it backfires is totally amazing.

Have you done any volunteering?
I never thought I did until I recieved the letter and certificate yesterday, but as I think back I have done a lot of it at church by being on boards, helping with meals, going on a mission trip to Russia, helping at school when my kids were in school, working at Vacation Bible School now with my grandkids etc. It can go on forever I am thinking.

How did it feel?
I always seem to enjoy it. I grow and learn new things that I can do. With the prison thing I have never felt so good, even thinking about it now puts a smile on my face and a bounce in my step.

Was it worth the time? Yes, even though with all the other stuff I think I need to do at the time, I can see the growth in myself as well as what I was able to do for the other people involved at the time.

Some volunteering can be as simple as making a card for the soldiers overseas. That time is coming real fast to get Thank You cards send to them by the 4th of July. So get out your paper and crayons and make those cards and send them to me at:
Make 2 Tell 2
991 Road 325
Harvard, NE 68944

Feel free to click on Make 2 Tell 2 to learn more about how you can help send cards to the soldiers overseas.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Many Blessings,

Renita Farrall

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for asking, Renita!

    As a member of Toastmasters, International living in a small town, I wanted to participate in a club. I never could have imagined that my club membership would involve a State Prison! But we chartered LibOrators 986233 inside the walls at Tecumseh State Correctional Facility and, to my delight and surpise, it has been a spiritual experience.

    I attend the meetings every week and when you mentioned it "backfiring" I grinned, because I can so relate. I went there, thinking I would "help" them. What I did not understand at the outset is that THEY are helping ME.

    I've taught Sunday School over the years, I have delivered Meals on Wheels. I have helped in projects to feed poor people; I even went so far as to host cooking classes in my home for people who use food stamps, food commodities and food pantries.

    Nothing, but nothing, could have prepared me for the satisfaction I have been blessed to receive from participating in a program where incarcerated men seek to evolve, develop, give, share, learn and become their best selves.

    In my mind, to volunteer is to help build bridges between cultures. It is helping to pave the road to world peace.

    I am honored to volunteer, sharing my time and experience and any knowledge I may offer. And I would heartily encourage anyone of any age or life experience to find ways to serve their communities by volunteering wherever they are needed.

    Here's hoping "That's It! I'm Going To Grandma's" finds enough volunteers to make the way easier for those who follow in their footsteps!

    Hugs
    Mother Connie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your message.